Looking for an easy salad that is quick to make? This Black Bean and Quinoa salad is full of flavor with the heat of chipotle peppers and topped with Feta and is good for you too!
What is Quinoa and why is everyone eating it?
Quinoa is currently one of the world’s most popular health foods. When I was introduced to this super-food, I didn’t even know to pronounce “keen-wha”. I thought it was pronounced kin-o-a… either way these little seeds (yes, a seed not a grain) are full of protein and fiber and should be a part of your diet. It won’t be hard either because “keen-wha” is so versatile you can include it in salads, protein bars, casseroles, just about anything.
Why you should eat Quinoa:
Quinoa has a nutty flavor, a great source of protein and is much higher in fiber than most grains and seeds. Full of B vitamins, iron and calcium these little seeds are good for your body and easy to digest. It’s also naturally gluten-free.
I always have cooked quinoa in my fridge because I find it’s a great base for so many recipes. I throw together mixed greens, bell peppers, tomato, cucumber, roasted chickpeas and top with quinoa. It makes for a healthy lunch that is packed with veggies and full of protein and fiber.
Super easy to make and can be done in as little as 15 minutes…
This Black Bean and Quinoa Salad is flavored with Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a hint of spice, but has the bite of feta cheese and crunch of bell pepper. It’s perfect as a side or an easy topping for your salad. It’s a dish you can make ahead and it tastes even better on day 2 or keep in the refrigerator all week-long for a quick on the go lunch.
Where to buy Quinoa:
Quinoa can be found in your local grocery stores mostly in the health foods section, but with its growing popularity quinoa is often found in the pasta isle too. The three main types of quinoa are white, red, and black, but there are many different types and they all taste great so buy whatever you find in your grocery store. Make sure to buy pre-rinsed quinoa because you have to rinse these little seeds and they are so small you end up losing quite a bit in the process. It will specify on the package if it’s pre-rinsed.
Quinoa Product I recommend:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any color)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook quinoa according to box by adding quinoa and water to small pot, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork, transfer to a medium-sized bowl and let quinoa cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, water, soy sauce, lime juice, minced garlic, chipotle pepper, and salt and pepper. Add the cooled quinoa, black beans, red onion, scallions, bell pepper, and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine then add feta and serve.
- Make ahead and store in air tight container in refrigerator over night.
Click here for my Homemade Cranberry, Chocolate, and Quinoa Energy Bars: